Leo Babauta from Zen Habits Shares a Popular Post Case Study
This week I’m featuring a short series of interviews with successful bloggers looking at a popular post on their blog and why they think it went viral. Today Leo Babauta from Zen Habits has agreed to dissect the popularity of one of his site’s most popular posts.
1. What is the post on your blog that has had the most traffic in the last 12 months?
I would never have guessed this until I looked it up in Analytics, but the top post in the last year is “10 Tasty, Easy and Healthy Breakfast Ideas“.
2. Where did the traffic mainly come from?
The page had nearly 500K pageviews in the last year, almost all from Google searches. A small amount came from Yahoo (#2), direct traffic, MSN, and other search engines.
3. Did you do anything extra to market or promote this post or did it just happen organically?
No, I didn’t promote this post any more than other posts. It did well in delicious.com the first day, without my help, and quickly found its way to the #1 spot in Google searches for “healthy breakfasts” and related search terms. I don’t do SEO at all (I don’t believe in it), so this happened totally organically.
4. What can we as bloggers learn from the success of this post?
Google can bring tons of traffic, but the way to get there is not through SEO or overly promotional techniques. It’s by creating useful content that people will want to bookmark, link to, and find in searches, solving problems that many people have.
- Figure out what problems a lot of people have.
- Create really useful content to solve those problems.
- Write a good headline to help the post get spread more widely.